An Award winning backpackers at the doorstep of the Drakensberg mountains.
Both the Drakensberg Mountains and Lesotho are easily accessible from the town of Kestell in South Africa's Free State province, situated midway between Johannesburg and Durban. Our backpackers fulfils the promise of peace and tranquility with a beautiful, rambling garden, a comfortable home, hiking and African cultural tours, as well as a selection of our famous home-made jams.
On your arrival, you will be treated to warm, personal hospitality. The large kitchen can be used for the preparation of both modest or sumptuous meals. A broad selection of home-made, award-winning preserves (jams, jellies and marmalades) make up our free continental breakfast and are also available for sale. Hot-water bottles will keep you cosy in the crisp winter nights while summer nights are almost invariably pleasantly cool.
Our backpackers accommodation consists of 3 double-bed rooms, four in the family room and six more in the dorm annex.
When approaching Kestell from the N5, drive around the church and continue with the church behind you. If you're coming from Phutaditjhaba, turn left from Blignaut Street into Piet Retief Street where the tar ends. Karma Backpackers is at the top of the rise, on the right.
Your hosts are Vera Ann and Lucio. Our friendly Staffordshire Terriers, Ruby and Bilbo, and our uncomplicated cat Pixel complete our family.
Karma Backpackers provides easy access to:
- - The Northern Drakensberg and particularly the Amphitheatre, the Sentinel and chain ladders, Mont-Aux-Sources and the top of the Tugela Falls
- - Witsieshoek and surroundings
- - Golden Gate
- - Lesotho
- - Sterkfontein Dam and Nature Reserve
- - Clarens
- - Six bunk beds in our dormitory
- - Four beds in our family room
- - Three double beds in seperate rooms
- - Bathroom (with bath)
- - Seperate ablution block with showers
- - Enclosed off-road parking